Your generous gifts allow us to keep creating theatrical experiences inspired by our shared New Haven history.
Why support A Broken Umbrella Theatre?
- We are the only theater company whose main purpose is to create original work inspired by New Haven’s history.
- Our site-specific work enlivens underutilized and unused spaces throughout the city. To date we have renovated and inhabited ten unique locations in Westville, Fair Haven, and downtown.
- We have taught creative theater workshops and master classes in partnership with Cold Spring School, Edgewood Magnet School, the Eli Whitney Museum, Seedlings Foundation, Yale Center for British Art, International Festival of Arts & Ideas, the New Haven Free Public Library (all five branches), and at Westville’s Art Walk.
- We actively engage intergenerational, diverse audiences from all of New Haven’s neighborhoods, visitors from across the state, and beyond our Connecticut borders.
- Our Pay-What-You-Can ticket program warmly welcomes non-traditional audiences to experience live theater in their community
- All of our artists, over 100 per project, volunteer their time to create this work for our community. We range in age from eight to over 65, with the majority of our artists living, working, and raising families in New Haven. Just when our state is losing young professionals and families, our artists are moving to New Haven because of the innovative work we are doing and the creative outlet that we provide.
A Broken Umbrella Theatre is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. All donations and sponsorships are tax-deductible.